In the modern dental age, just about anyone can achieve a whiter, brighter smile, which is one of the simplest cosmetic services available for for those who want to improve their smiles. Our dentist and team can help you determine why your teeth look dull and what your options are for teeth whitening.
Main causes of tooth darkening include:
– Age: Over time, tooth enamel can become thinner and expose the yellowish under layer of dentin. This can also be exacerbated by brushing harshly over the years, which is why we encourage you to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and use a gentle technique.
– Tobacco: If you have a habit of using tobacco, whether it is cigarettes, pipes, cigars, or chewing tobacco, you are exposing your teeth to tar and nicotine, which can stain the enamel from white to brown.
– Medications: Some medications—certain blood pressure treatments, antihistamines, and antipsychotics—can darken your teeth. Antibiotics such as tetracycline and doxycycline can darken the teeth of babies, making them look more yellow as they grow.
– Tooth trauma: An injury in your mouth as a result of sports or an accident can darken your tooth if the tooth creates more dentin as a reaction to injury.
– Drinks: Your favorite drinks may be the most common agent of tooth darkening since coffee, tea, or wine contain chromogens that attach to your tooth enamel and stain your teeth.
Fortunately, there are many teeth whitening options that use hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide along with a whitening tray that covers your teeth to break down stains and make them look less visible.
You can also find whitening toothpastes at just about any drug store or supermarket, which whiten teeth with the use of abrasives. However, they can only remove surface stains and will not alter the actual color of your teeth.
Perhaps the most effective teeth whitening treatment is chairside bleaching by our dentist, which can often be completed in one visit to our dental office with the use of a whitening gel. We can also provide at-home whitening kits that contain a bleaching gel that you pour into a tray and wear for a certain amount of time at home.
If you are eager to achieve whiter teeth, contact Dr. Singh at 818-842-0709 today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Singh to discuss your options for teeth whitening in Burbank, California.